On-screen written exams by remote invigilation
By entering an examination with the Chartered Insurance Institute (CII), you agree to be bound by these rules and assessment policies. Any breach of the following rules and policies may result in your disqualifications, not only from the assessment you are taking and any assessment you have already taken, but also from all future assessments, either for a period of years of indefinitely.
You can search through the list of exam rules by selecting the different options listed below:
The examination will be recorded via the webcam facility with audio and video connections. Screen-sharing technology allows the CII to ensure the examination is carried out with integrity. By taking the examination, you are giving your consent to being recorded. The CII is not liable for failure or fault with candidates’ equipment or internet connection at any stage of an assessment.
The CII ensures that it processes Personal Information in compliance with applicable data protection laws, including, without limitation, the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 ("GDPR") and the Data Protection Act 2018. For further information, including our data processing practices, please read our Privacy Statement.
Where your employer pays for any of your tuition including e-learning, exam entries, assessments, study texts or membership fees, the CII will, upon the employer's request provide your employer with details of your membership status and/or exam record including attempts and results, unless you notify us to the contrary by contacting Customer Service.
Organisations other than the CII sponsor prizes and awards based on CII exam performance. If you do not wish any information to be passed on to these organisations, please contact Customer Service.
The 3rd party remote invigilation provider is based in the USA. As a result, there will be a transfer of your personal data to the USA. By electing to take your exam via remote invigilation you are required to accept any terms and conditions required by the 3rd party provider for remote invigilation, and you are consenting to your personal data being processed and stored in the USA for remote invigilation.
On this page, you can find copies of additional information which is provided to you in your examination and details of additional information sent to you before your examination.
Ensure you have plenty of time to log on to your examination at least 15 minutes before the start. If you log on more than 15 minutes after your scheduled start time, you may not be allowed to take your examination.
You will be required to download a Secure Browser add-on prior to testing. This is an extra layer of security that will ensure no other application is open during the exam. It is advised that you complete the download before attending the exam to ensure you meet your examination window. Directions for downloading this browser will be provided before the examination.
Please check your personal details on MYCII are up to date and correct as your identification will be matched to these details. For all examinations, you will need to supply a form of identification.
Forms of identification do not have to be in English, however, all identification must be written in the modern Latin alphabet (in addition to any other language/alphabet used) and match the details held on MYCII.
Acceptable forms of identification are:
- a current passport
- a valid driving licence containing both, your photograph and signature
- a national identity document containing both, your photograph and signature - this excludes UK National Identity Cards.
All forms of identification should be presented in their original form and photocopies will not be accepted.
If you do not hold one of these forms of identification, you will be expected to obtain one before the exam. If you fail to present an acceptable form of identification during the identification checks, you will not be allowed to take your exam.
An on-screen scientific calculator will be provided. You are allowed to use your own non-programmable calculator. The use of all other electronic devices is prohibited. Mobile phones (including iPhones/smartphones) smart watches, smart glasses and similar devices and electronic equipment capable of communicating or being programmed to hold alphabetic or numerical data and/or formulae are prohibited.The use of all electronic devices is prohibited.
Hearing aids are only permitted when requested prior to the sitting. Please apply following the guidelines on reasonable adjustments above.
Ear plugs are not allowed.
- All required reference materials will be provided for you on screen. You must not take into the examination room any unauthorised materials or items or consult in any way, any book, paper (other than any permitted blank paper or post-it note in point 12 below), document or other written, typed or printed matter. Unauthorised materials include, for example, tax tables, electronic devices (see above), leaflets, non-transparent lids or cases.
- You may not consume any food while taking the examination.
- Drinks: you are allowed a bottle of water or similar, but it must be a clear, transparent bottle with the label removed.
- Toilet breaks: For exams lasting less than 3 hours, toilet breaks are not allowed. Please ensure you take adequate precautions prior to your exam. For exams lasting 3-hours or more you are not expected to take a toilet break. In the event of urgent necessity, a short toilet break can be taken. Lengthy breaks could invalidate your exam. This will be reported to the CII. The CII will review each case and reserves the right to withhold results. If you require an adjustment to this rule, please apply following the guidelines on adjustments above.
- You must not communicate with, or willingly receive communication from any person during the examination.
- You must not read or attempt to read or copy any information from any other person.
- You must not behave in a rude, discourteous or disruptive manner.
- You must not act in an unprofessional manner. Disciplinary action may be taken against any candidate suspected of unprofessional conduct or committing a breach of these examination rules.
- Your web cam must allow you to do a 360-degree scan of the room, so needs to be easily lifted and moved throughout the room.
- You need to bring a reflective surface such as a mirror, so you can show the edges of your monitor/laptop to your invigilator.
- The lighting of your room should be of daylight quality and overhead lighting is preferred. If overhead lighting is not possible, please make sure that your light source is not directly behind you because it will make it difficult for your invigilator to see you.
- You can take 2 sheets of A4 blank white paper on the day to make notes. You can take in 1 Post-it® note or an additional sheet of paper with your login details and this on-the-day support number; +44 (0)80 8273 9244. You will need to show both sides of the post-it note, additional sheet and any blank paper in the room scan. You can also take in a pen to make notes.
- All mobile phones, briefcases, handbags, books, revision notes must be locked away or left outside the room in which you are taking the examination.
- Close all programs, applications and websites unless instructed to open them for the purpose of taking the exam.
- Ensure that your exam is held in a well-lit, quiet and private location and that no one is allowed in the room.
- Remove any hats, sunglasses and headphones.
- Remove any tablets or smart watches.
- Remove any computers, electronic devices or laptops that are not connected with the live exam.
- Please be aware you must avoid actions which could be interpreted as an attempt to communicate with others or an attempt to consult unauthorised resources. Examples of such actions include, but are not limited to, talking aloud, moving your hands in front of your face and moving out of the line of sight of your webcam. Where this does occur, the CII will review each case and reserves the right to withhold results. If you have a need for an adjustment to be made to this test situation (e.g. for medical reasons) please do let us know in advance, following the process detailed in the reasonable adjustment section.
- If you encounter an issue with accessing your exam, please try the online support here and click "Live Support Online" which is located beneath the login box on the left hand side of the page. If for any reason you are unable to access the online support please call +44 (0)80 8273 9244 for support.
- If an issue occurs during the test, in the first instance you should utilise the inbuilt online chat facility.
- If an issue occurs, or there is a technical problem once the examination has started, if time remains, you can attempt to restart the exam via the route you first accessed it. If the time delay is too long, or you were not monitored, your result may be withheld. If you are not immediately able to re-enter the exam, you must therefore immediately call the emergency exam day number for support.
- You may lose unsaved assessment responses if there is a system or internet connectivity error during your assessment. We therefore advise that you save your response to a question regularly even when you have not yet completed your answer. To do this, move from the question you are working on to the next, your work will be saved. You can then navigate back to the question you are working on and continue.
- The CII is not liable for issues with the completion of an examination caused by faults with candidates’ equipment or internet connection. However, if you encounter problems with your equipment, please call our emergency exam day number above so that we can identify ways in which we can assist you.
- The CII are not liable for the failure or fault with candidates’ equipment or internet connection, and/or any subsequent impact on an assessment at any stage of an assessment. However, if you encounter problems with your equipment, please call +44 (0)80 8273 9244 for support.
Please note examinations are based on the published syllabuses; you can find syllabuses in the relevant qualification section on this website.
The CII's liability is limited to a complete refund of the entry fee paid for the exam concerned.
Nothing in these conditions excludes or limits the liability of CII:
(a) For death or personal injury caused by the negligence of CII
(b) For any matter which it would be unlawful for CII to exclude or attempt to exclude its liability
Candidates should refer to the syllabus and CII updates, on the unit shop page of the CII website, for the general testing position and the latest information on changes to legislation and industry practice and when they will be examined.
In all instances, the CII employs best endeavours to ensure that examinations meet the specified criteria.
Exams are based on the published syllabuses which are available online at www.cii.co.uk on the unit shop page of the CII website. It is important that you keep yourself informed of any changes which may occur affecting the units you are studying by using material suggested in the reading lists on the syllabuses in the relevant qualification section of this website.
The CII will do all it can to provide students enrolled on a study programme with updated materials as soon as legislative changes become known, but it cannot guarantee this in time for a particular exam. Candidates should refer to the CII updates, via the link on the unit shop page of the CII website, for the latest information on changes to law and practice and when they will be examined.
Disciplinary action may be taken against any candidate for dishonourable or unprofessional conduct or committing a breach of the exam regulations. Penalties may be imposed for falsification of documents or cheating during an exam. The CII reserves the right to notify the relevant regulatory body of any disciplinary action taken.
The CII reserves the right to publish exam results, whether a pass or failure. Pass lists are published only after results have been issued to candidates.
15. These rules are in addition to the Terms and Conditions detailed on the CII website.