Supporting diversity in the profession
The CII values diversity and strives in all of its activities to take account of and reflect the interests of all the people it serves in line with section 5 of our Code of Ethics.
We work to promote ethical business and professional practices among people engaged or working in the insurance and financial advice professions.
Inclusive working environments for disabled people
Watch our awareness video and gain insight into how to achieve a more inclusive working environment.
We asked Sian Fisher, Chief Executive Officer, and other staff to share their thoughts about diversity and inclusion in relation to the profession and why they are passionate about D&I.
'Our commitment and journey on diversity and inclusion is one we value at the CII as shown in our values. I am proud to be working for an organisation that genuinely commits to D&I within our organisation and our role in leading and supporting our profession as they continue on this journey'
Tali Shlomo, Chartered FCIPD
People Engagement Director
Our recent initiatives
Insuring Women's Futures is a programme established we've established, aimed at promoting and enhancing the insurance and financial planning profession’s role in relation to women and risk.
Created by UN Women, HeForShe is about making simple, achievable personal commitments which inspire others to join the conversation, show support for gender parity and making all of our lives, and those of whom we serve, more inclusive.
Women in Finance Charter
Leading financial services firms are signing up to a new government Charter designed to improve gender diversity in senior positions in the sector, following Jayne-Anne Gadhia's review of women in finance, Empowering Productivity: Harnessing the talents of women in financial services (PDF).
The CII was one of the first signatories of the Women in Finance Charter, requiring us to commit to a number of actions to promote gender diversity and inclusion. These are:
- Having a senior executive team who are responsible and accountable for gender diversity and inclusion
- Having 30% female representation on our senior executive team (this is 23% as of 2019)
- Having 30% female representation on our board (this is 15% as of 2019)
- Publishing progress annually against these targets
- Having a senior executive bonus scheme linked to delivery against these internal targets on gender diversity
Our workforce is currently (as of 2019) made up of:
- 247 members of staff in the total workforce
- 57% of staff are female
- 23% of senior managers are female
- 15% female representation on executive committee