Introduction to Data Science and AI for Insurance
Course start date: 10 January 2022 (registrations close 31 December 2021)
Course price: £1,200 for members or £1,500 for non-members
Register your interest today for the Introduction to Data Science & AI for Insurance course from the Chartered Insurance Institute and Southampton Data Science Academy here.
This introductory-level course is an important first step in developing your knowledge of data science and artificial intelligence (AI) within the context of insurance. It provides an overview of data tools and technologies and develops your understanding of data analysis, data visualisation techniques, an ethical approach to AI and data science techniques for insurance.
The course is delivered by the Southampton Data Science Academy, a partnership between the Web Science Institute at the University of Southampton and Cambridge Education Group. The course programme was developed in partnership with the Chartered Insurance Institute.
Who is the Introduction to Data Science & AI for Insurance for?
The course is ideal for anyone in the insurance profession seeking to develop an understanding of data science and AI capabilities – from broking, underwriting and claims professionals, to business analysts, product development, management and marketing roles.
Data science is becoming an increasingly vital skill in many core insurance functions, including risk assessment and pricing, reserving, fraud detection, customer segmentation, customer experience, product development, reporting and communication.
On completion of the course, you will be able to:
- Explain core concepts and methods in data science and AI within insurance.
- Identify opportunities to apply data-science driven business solutions.
- Gather, process, analyse, visualise and communicate insight from novel, large and heterogeneous datasets.
- Perform basic analysis of relevant datasets with state-of-the-art tools and technologies in the insurance context.
- Provide insights about the legal, ethical and technical implications of using big data and AI in an insurance context.
Studying for the Introduction to Data Science & AI for Insurance
- 30 hours study time (across 10 weeks)
- 6 modules
- Interactive quizzes and exercises
- 6 group tutorials (1 tutorial per module)
- 1:1 tutoring session
- Coursework assignment
- Peer networking via discussion forum
The course will have two forms of assessment: a final assignment, typically around 1,500 words in length (80% of the total mark), and a set of discussion forum contributions (20% of the final mark). Results are released 3-4 weeks following completion of the course.
Candidates should raise any unforeseen circumstances that may prevent them from submitting the assignment with their tutor as early as possible to discuss reasonable adjustments.
On successful completion of this course, you will receive a completion certificate from the Chartered Insurance Institute and Southampton Data Science Academy in recognition of your achievement.