Discovery ebooks are available to read for CII and PFS members in PDF or Epub full text online once you are logged in. These are guidelines as to how to download ebooks from Discovery to be read offline. Please note: this guidance does not apply to CII study text ebooks.
You may choose to download an eBook to your computer or tablet and read it offline at a later time. This takes a little bit of setting up in the first instance, but is very easy to do so thereafter.
1) You will need to download a suitable e-reader to your desktop or tablet in order to view downloaded ebooks:
2) To downoald ebooks you need to have a personal account in EBSCO in addition to your CII member log in. Please see the guide on how to create a personal account.
These two tasks only need to be done once. You will then be ready to download ebooks to your chosen device. You can download books for up to 7 days at a time.
To download an eBook
1) Log in to your EBSCO account from here:
2) Search or browse for the ebook you would like to download. See the search guide..
3) Click the "Download" link as seen below:
4) The book may be currently checked out by another user and you will be prompted to place a hold on it instead of checking it out.
The eBook will then be placed in your "Holds" folder. When the eBook is available, you are notified via the e-mail address associated with your account and the eBook appears in the "Checkouts" folder (see more on this below).
5) For eBooks not already on loan click the "Download" button and a pop up window should appear.
6) For some titles, you may see the option to select either the PDF, for desktop or ePub format for tablet. It will ask you to confirm that you have the right software.
7) If you have been successful, you will be shown this pop-up window:
8) You can either access the ebook from the link on this pop-up window, or in your checkout folder.
9) Your checkouts folder will look something like this:
10) Click on "Download" - highlighted above in red. The download might open automatically. If on a desktop computer with Google Chrome browser, a download will appear at the bottom:
11) Click on this download link. Adobe Digital editions will automatically open and begin downloading your ebook. When accessing ebooks via tablet, downloading procedures after you have clicked on "Download" may vary.
If when trying to download an eBook to Digital Editions you receive the following error message, E_AUTH_BAD_DEVICE_KEY_OR_PKCS12, the solution would be to completely remove any authorisation using ctrl-shift-D to Adobe Digital Editions (cmd-shift-D if on Mac). Then restart Digital Editions, and reauthorize with your Adobe ID.