The Declaration results from the work undertaken over many months by the Insurance Profession Task Force. The Task Force members comprise senior individuals from firms representing the broad range of participants across the profession.
The Task Force has been working to six specific objectives:
- To develop and oversee implementation of an agreed common framework for professional standards for general insurance operating in the public interest to enhance public confidence in our sector.
- To identify an agenda of initiatives to support a common framework for professional standards and qualifications but also standards of behaviour consistent with other professions.
- To ensure there is senior buy-in from the GI sector to support, endorse and promote these professional standards.
- To ensure proposals work with the grain of the market, creating a consensus that can influence the perception of the insurance sector with opinion formers as well as the public at large.
- To develop proposals consistent with the CII's Charter to secure the public confidence in insurance professionals.
- To ensure the programme of activity is realistic in terms of timeframe, relevance, cost, implementation and industry support.
During the course of its work, the Task Force has consulted with firms of all sizes, from brokers to insurers, from provincial firms to London market specialists, from UK household names to the largest international businesses. It also reviewed a wealth of research material into perceptions of the insurance sector and expected trends. Finally it organised a series of focus groups involving customers (retail and small business) and people starting out in their insurance careers.
Task Force members
- Chris Hanks (Chair) President, Chartered Insurance Institute and General Manager, Allianz Commercial. Chris joined Allianz in 1999 when Cornhill acquired AGF. Career highlights include senior roles in underwriting, sales and branch operations, reinsurance and marketing. He is chairman of the Risk, Insight, Strategy and Control (RISC) Authority, and chairman of Polaris.
- Amanda Blanc, Chartered Insurance Broker, Chief Executive Officer - AXA Commercial. Amanda was appointed in February 2011 as the Chief Executive Officer for AXA's commercial business which includes the broking arm, Bluefin. Prior to this Amanda was Deputy Group CEO of The Towergate Partnership. Before joining Towergate she worked for Groupama Insurances. In 2008 Amanda was voted the overall winner of Women in the City award
- Benedict Burke, Chief Executive UK & Ireland, Crawford. Benedict joined Crawford as Managing Director, General Insurance in 2003. Career highlights include serving as Chief Operating Officer of GAB Robins UK, and being appointed in 2008 to Crawford's Global Operational Leadership Group.
- Eric Galbraith, Chief Executive, British Insurance Brokers' Association. Eric joined BIBA as Chief Executive in 2003. Career highlights include holding senior positions within the industry for Bowring, Marsh, Royal Bank and Aviva's broking arm, Hill House Hammond.
- Mark Hynes, Chartered Insurer, Product and Governance Director, Aviva Insurance. Mark has been with Aviva for 29 years, mostly in Commercial Underwriting roles, interspersed with spells in Strategy/Planning, Performance Development, Pricing and Marketing. His current role includes responsibility for Aviva's Commercial and Personal lines product development, increasing Underwriting Core Skills (including leading the Aviva Underwriting Academy) and GI governance.
- Julian James, Chief Executive Officer, Lockton International. Julian was appointed Chief Executive Officer of Lockton Companies International Ltd in 2008, having joined Lockton International in May 2007. Previously he worked for Lloyd's as Director, Worldwide Markets and was responsible for all Lloyd's commercial activities outside the UK.
- Steve Lewis, Chief Executive Officer, Zurich Financial Services Group. Steve is the CEO of Zurich's UK General Insurance business, having joined Zurich Financial Services Group when it was Eagle Star in December 1989. He has held several finance and operational roles in the UK and overseas. He has most recently has been Head of Group Operations, Planning and Performance Management for the Zurich Group, based in Switzerland.
- Neil Lightbown, UK Underwriting & Strategic Claims Director, RSA. Neil joined RSA in April 2009 from Zurich Financial Services, where he held the role of Chief Underwriting Officer International Businesses. In his seven years at Zurich he had previously been Chief Underwriting Officer of the UK Operation of the Global Corporate Division.
- John J Nicholson FCII, Risk and Governance Director, Marsh Ltd. John is the Marsh Ltd Board Director for Risk and Governance. As well as chairing the Marsh Ltd Quality Council and Financial Crime Steering Group, he is a member of its Risk and Audit Committees, and a Director of MMC UK Pension Trustee Ltd. John is a Fellow of The Chartered Insurance Institute
- Sandy Scot, Chief Executive, Chartered Insurance Institute. Sandy joined the CII as Director General in 2000. Career highlights include Deputy Managing Director of PPP healthcare, and UK Managing Director of Ingram Micro. He is a past chairman of the European Financial Planning Association, and an Honorary Secretary of the Insurance Charities.
- Barry Smith, Chief Executive Officer, Ageas. Barry joined Fortis UK as Chief Executive in 2003 and is a member of Ageas Global Management Committee. He was formerly Managing Director of AA Insurance and a Director at AXA Insurance plc. He is also Chair of the Association of British Insurers' Motor Committee.
- Angus Tucker Past President, Chartered Institute of Loss Adjusters. Angus joined Grant Thornton as a Director in 2005. He is currently responsible for the Insurance Claims Solutions service line within the Forensic and Investigations department. Career highlights include co-authoring a book on war and terrorism risks, and with the CILA Executive Director re-writing the CILA Royal Charter, Bye-Laws and Code of Conduct.
- Daniel Wilkinson Chief Executive Officer, Willis UK & Ireland. Daniel was named Chief Executive Officer, Willis United Kingdom & Ireland (WUKI) in 2011. Prior to being named CEO, Daniel had served Willis in a number of capacities over his 16 years. After beginning his career at a Lloyd's Marine syndicate, Daniel spent seven years broking for Miller Insurance and Fenchurch before joining Willis in 1995. He is a member of the Willis Group's Executive Committee, the senior management team setting and executing Willis' global strategy.
- Tom Woolgrove Managing Director, RBS-I, Personal Lines Insurance. Tom joined RBS Insurance in April 2010 as Managing Director, Personal Lines insurance. Previously, he held various MD roles with HBOS and Lloyds Banking Group, including UK Private Banking, General Insurance and Motor Finance. He holds a Masters Degree in Engineering and Management, and a MBA from the University of Chicago Booth School of Business.