Code of Ethics
Your commitment to professionalism
All our members are required to adhere to the our Code of Ethics, a set of principles ensuring we maintain high standards of integrity, probity and ethical fair dealing.
Ethics are a cornerstone of professionalism, and ethical behaviour is crucial to secure public trust and confidence in the insurance and financial planning profession and to build a reputation which people value.
The CII Code of Ethics has been designed to provide members with practical, realistic guidance to follow.
Our members are required to:
- Comply with the Code and all relevant laws and regulations
- Act with the highest ethical standards and integrity
- Act in the best interests of each client
- Provide a high standard of service
- Treat people fairly regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership, pregnancy/maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation
Failure to comply with the Code may result in disciplinary action against the member and risk adverse publicity for the member and their organisation.
Digital Ethics: a Companion to the Code of Ethics
Working with the Digital Ethics Forum we have developed the Digital Ethics Companion (PDF) to support the five core duties set out in the Code of Ethics, and outlines the key issues that members should take into account when undertaking their work in a digital context.
We have also produced an Accompanying Guide to Digital Ethics (PDF), which highlights the how the Digital Ethics Companion applies in practical scenarios.
Your practical guide
We have also developed a practical guide to the Code which can also be used as part of a member's CPD activity, to demystify ethical issues with case studies and a simple guide to understanding the five principles which underpin the Code.
Online ethics course
Designed to help members update their knowledge on the CII's Code of Ethics. The course includes:
- What do we mean by ethics?
- Ethics and the business environment
- Ethics in insurance and financial services
- Ethics and your working environment
- How to handle ethical issues
Free to members, and once completed members can claim CPD. The course has been added to all the essentials suites of Assess.