New − 2014 information for candidates brochure »
This qualification meets the specific needs of paraplanners, by
offering a dedicated qualification route that develops paraplanning
skills and expertise, and imparts advanced technical knowledge in a
number of key advisory areas.
The Certificate in Paraplanning comprises four compulsory units,
all of which need to be passed in order to complete the
- (R01) Financial services, regulation and ethics;
- (R02) Investment principles and risk;
- (R03) Personal taxation; and
- (J09) Paraplanning.
With the exception of the paraplanning unit, which is assessed
by coursework assignments, subjects
are assessed by multiple-choice exams. All multiple-choice exams,
and the paraplanning unit, are assessed year-round, meaning that
candidates are able to build a study programme around known
commitments and busy periods.
Upon completion candidates will be awarded the Certificate in
Paraplanning. PFS members whose primary role is Paraplanning are
entitled to use the designation CertPFS (Paraplanning). Continuing
Professional Development requirements apply.
Credits obtained in completing the Certificate in Paraplanning
can also be used towards other CII financial planning
qualifications (subject to their completion requirements).
Why the Certificate in Paraplanning?
The Certificate delivers many advantages:
- Develops advanced technical knowledge in key advisory areas,
and enhances paraplanning skills and expertise.
- Provides 3 of the 6 units required to complete the Diploma in
Regulated Financial Planning for those seeking to become an adviser
in the future.
- Improves long-term career prospects by improving knowledge and
understanding, and by demonstrating commitment to
- Provides online exam sittings that enable candidates to enter
for exams when ready, with results provided instantaneously.
- The paraplanning unit is assessed by coursework assignments, an
assessment method that is akin to the discipline of paraplanning
- Modular learning and unrivalled support materials means that
study can be tackled in manageable chunks using the market's widest
range of learning and revision materials proven to enhance the
chances of exam success.
Is the Certificate in Paraplanning right for me?
The Certificate is appropriate for a wide range of people,
- Senior and mid-level paraplanners looking to further their
knowledge and sharpen their skills.
- Those relatively new to paraplanning who perhaps do not hold
existing financial planning qualifications or exams.
- New industry entrants, graduates or otherwise, aspiring to
become paraplanners or looking for an entry route into financial
Your next step
Now that you have read about the Certificate in Paraplanning,
gained an understanding of what it offers and established it is the
appropriate qualification route for you, it is time to finalise
The links at the top of this page contain all the information
you require to study for and complete the Certificate. As you read
through this information, you will learn about the units on offer,
the available learning materials, how to enter and the terms and
conditions relating to entry.
Please take time to read this, as it will help you choose the
study programme that best fits your needs.
also access FAQs here