New - 2013 info for
What you need to know to get ahead in your career
The Foundation Insurance Test (FIT) helps you develop an
understanding of key insurance issues, including:
- how the insurance market operates;
- fundamental risk and insurance principles and procedures;
- core personal and commercial insurance products.
FIT is a single-unit qualification which requires you to
pass a test. Upon successful completion, you receive a 'Record of
Achievement' and a qualification completion certificate for The
Award for the Foundation Insurance Test.
By combining FIT with at-work learning, you can greatly improve
your knowledge of insurance and take the first steps to becoming a
fully-fledged insurance practitioner.
FIT has already proved popular with individuals employed within
a diverse range of organisations, including many from companies
whose background and main area of business is not insurance.
They value the way that it covers the fundamentals of general
insurance in a clear and user-friendly way. Candidates who pass FIT
will achieve The Award for the Foundation Insurance Test and
receive six credits towards any future studies for CII
qualifications such as the Certificate in Insurance (this is the
recommended next step for further study).
Full details on the Certificate in Insurance can be viewed on
the Certificate in Insurance
qualification page. And when you enrol for FIT you receive, as
part of your study package, full membership of the CII. This
provides a range of benefits including member only access to our
knowledge services website which can assist your studies for FIT
and provide essential support in your working life. See www.cii.co.uk/membership for further
Importantly, FIT has been designed to assist you and your
employer to comply with regulatory training and competence
requirements. The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) requires
employees to demonstrate that they are competent in the work they
do, and thereafter to maintain this competence. FIT can play an
important part in helping to meet the requirements by serving as an
objective measurement of your technical awareness and
Over the following pages you will find full details on the
benefits of FIT, what it involves, the available study materials
and entry procedures. FIT shows the market that you mean
FIT delivers many advantages:
- Has no formal entry requirements so is open to anyone,
irrespective of experience or educational background.
- Demonstrates your commitment to personal learning and
development: it is the starting point for anyone who needs to know
the fundamentals of insurance.
- Can form part of an overall programme to meet the regulator's
training and competence requirements.
- Provides a student-friendly introduction to the fundamentals of
general insurance principles and products.
- 'Record of Achievement' awarded upon completion from the
- Includes with the study text full CII membership providing a
range of benefits which can assist your studies for FIT and provide
essential support in your working life.
Is FIT suitable for me?
FIT is open to anyone, irrespective of educational background
or experience. It is suitable for a diverse range of people,
- Anyone wishing to gain a basic understanding of the general
insurance market, principles, procedures and products.
- Employees who hold no insurance qualifications but wish to
demonstrate insurance knowledge and understanding.
- Employees beginning study for general insurance
- Anyone wishing to build upon their specific job knowledge with
sound understanding of general insurance principles and market
- Insurance staff employed in support functions such as human
resources, marketing, IT and finance, wishing to develop an
understanding of the industry in which they work.
- Staff working for an organisation whose primary business is not
insurance, but which offers insurance advice and products as part
of its overall service to customers.