Introduction to financial crime - one day
This course outlines the threat of financial crime, its
consequences for the insurance industry and the key anti-financial
crime controls that firms should have in place. Financial crime
remains firmly on the legal and regulatory agenda. The 'annual
laundering money test' is no longer enough. Recent major regulatory
enforcement cases - for bribery and corruption failings - continue
to emphasise that the real risk is not prosecution but more
frequent enforcement, higher penalties and even action against
individuals. Firms and individuals must know how to protect clients
- Challenging complacency - insurance industry exposure and the
financial and reputational impact
- Money laundering, fraud (including insurance fraud),
identity/data theft, sanctions, terrorism and
- UK and international legislation, and penalties; Bribery Act
2010 in detail
- The FCA's approach to financial crime and its guidance.
Prosecution or enforcement?
- The agencies and particular industry initiatives
- Identifying and reporting suspicious transactions and
indicators, including politically exposed persons (PEPs)
- Following risk based procedures - deterrence, prevention and
- Understand the exposure and consequences of financial crime for
the insurance industry
- Identify the main types of financial crime and their
- Describe the key (and evolving) legislation to counter
financial crime and the penalties for non-compliance
- Explain the regulatory priority given to financial crime and
what the FCA expects of firms and individuals
- Describe the roles of the main agencies in combating financial
crime, including those within the industry
- Recognise suspicious transactions
- Outline the key but proportionate antifinancial crime controls
that a firm should have in place.
Who should attend?
Compliance officers, managers, team leaders and people whose
roles carry a higher potential exposure to financial crime.
Attendance of this course awards up to 6 CPD
hours where you consider it relevant to your
professional development needs.
Scheduled dates for this course have now sold out, please keep
checking the website for updates to availability. Dates are added
subject to demand and can also be run in-house for corporate